Donegal Action for Cancer Care (DACC) has been invited by the National Cancer Strategy Steering Group, as part of the development of a new strategy, to seek out the opinions of people who access our services and their loved ones as to how cancer services could be better organised in Ireland. With this in mind DACC are doing what they can within its role to ensure as far as possible that Donegal people are aware of this opportunity.
They are therefore asking:
- Have you had direct experiences of cancer services in this country?
- What was that like? Are there things that you think work really well?
- Are there things that could be improved?
- For people diagnosed with cancer in future, what would your one wish be for them in making life that little bit easier?
DACC will be making its own submission and we have identified the following four key priorities:
- the need for provision of, timely access to, and appropriate funding of psycho-social services for all people with cancer and their families countrywide
- the need for psycho-social services to be included as a key element of the clinical care pathway and for training to be provided to health care staff in signposting patients to these services
- the need for equality of access to early diagnosis and treatment of cancer for all patients irrespective of means and travel difficulties for patient who have to travel long journeys for treatment
- the need to increase the numbers of oncology nurse staff in our hospitals, significantly impacted as a result of the previous moratorium on the recruitment of the staff in the public sector
However, we very much believe that there is strength in numbers and would strongly encourage you to share your experiences of cancer services also. You can answer as little or as much as you wish. You may want to comment on one aspect of the cancer journey, or all of it. The choice is yours. The closing date for completion of submissions is Friday July 24 at 5pm. These can be made by email to email@example.com or by post to Cancer Strategy Public Consultation, Department of Health, Hawkins House, Hawkins Street, Dublin 2. To download the question form (in word-document) please click Cancer Strategy Public Consultation Document (Final)-6 DACC believe it is really important that you have your say in the development of the new National Cancer Strategy 2016-2025. For further information you can contact DACC at: Moneygreggan, Newtowncunningham, Lifford, Co. Donegal, Tel: 087 2905 946